Thursday, March 1, 2012

Why I Run !

Well I have made it to week 7 of the Half Marathon clinic training. I even put in my registration for the run! I am extremely amazed at myself and how much I look forward to my runs. I can't honestly say that they are getting easier however I do feel like I am getting stronger. Running with the group has certainly helped push me on runs when I felt like I was going to die! My legs are strong but my breathing is still tricky and hills ! Oh my nerves I really have to change my mindset about hills. Each run we do has a hill after all we are in Halifax ! Last night on a 3k run we ran up Salter St. from Lower Water Street. Salter is the street that runs by the Maritime Center ! Wholly steep hill I literally thought my heart and lungs were going to land on the street ! Hill training officially starts next Wednesday with 3 hill repeats on Point Pleasant Drive. I know it is all about building strength and endurance and I have to figure out a way to not dread these runs. I recall that during the 10K clinic I did come to like the hill repeats however the most we did was 4 and for the half you work up to 9 !

Last week at clinic we were asked to reflect on " Why we run ? It seems like such a simple question but it really got me thinking. I was a person who thought I could not run and now I am running 4 times a week and have a goal of completing the Bluenose Half Marathon in 2:15. Sometimes I think who is the crazy running lady ? I like yoga which is slow and meditative and makes you feel alive and so relaxed after a good flow class. However with running I feel so alive after a run and very different from yoga. Yoga is about getting in tune with your body but hey go for a brisk 5 km and you don't have to try to hard to get in tune with your body! Your lungs are working hard, you can feel your heart beating and your legs are pulsating with fresh blood and energy. A good run is good for the soul and clears away any negative energy or self doubts. When I reflected on why I run here is my answer:

1) I run because I CAN
2) I run for all those who cannot run
3) I run to be fit and healthy
4) I run because it makes me feel so alive, vibrant and young
5) I run as a meditation and prayer of gratitude for all my blessing in my life
6) I run to experience nature in a new way.
7) I run because it makes me feel strong
8) I run to prove to myself that Yes I can be a runner !


Each runner has their own story. I am not a very competitive person so my running goal are very challenging but not crazy. I just hope that on May 20 that I do not puke on the finish line and that I am still running when I cross the finish line !

Nameste

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment