Sunday, March 11, 2012

Getting Stronger

Week 9 of Running Room half marathon clinic and hill training has begun. This week we did 3 hill repeats and it was tough. The hill training was on South Street from Barrington to Queen this week. The group leaders had a special surprise of hot chocolate for the group when we were finished. I survived and realized that I am getting stronger. The steady runs are getting much easier and of course the hills in Halifax you cannot avoid and ones I used to dread are very not that bad. It feels great to finish a run and feel strong and not like I am going to die ! We did a 5km steady run this week and I felt like I could have kept running for so much longer. Yeah I am getting stronger and turning into a real runner ! I still feel like an impersonator some weeks like " what the hell am I doing ? but I am doing it and I feel great.

I am even looking ahead to see what runs are coming up this summer and planning a few summer races.

Along with running and training I am trying to take some time during Lent to be quiet and reflect on the changes and ways I can make more room in my life for prayer and really let Jesus " walk with me " or run with me. I have always enjoyed the session of Lent and try to grow in my spiritual development. Blaise and I are in the middle of taking " Dogmatic Theology" a 8 week course at our church. We both enjoy the CD and the small group discussion. I have really been opened up and challenged and leaning closer to my Catholic roots. We have meet some people in our church and are taking on the role of greeter and after church cafe hosts. I am glad we are doing this together and not waiting until we have kids to get involved in our parish life. I have always felt that infertility in a way has been a gift to my spiritual growth because I went searching everywhere ( yoga, acupuncture, healing medications, herbs, stones borstals ) and was opened up and realized that Jesus was with me all along and welcomed me home when I finally got it! At present I am trying to truly allow God to lead the way and discover the purpose of our waiting in adoption. Developing a community in our parish is one of the gifts that Blaise and I are realizing. So as I train and prepare for the Bluenose Half Marathon I am also preparing my heart and soul to accept the challenge of moving forward in faith and real relationship with God.

My mantra for running is " I AM Strong, I AM Healthy, I AM Grateful to be doing this.

Number of runs this week: 4
Number of hill repeats: 3
Longest run this week: 10K


Cheers
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment