Friday, January 20, 2012

Half Marathon Clinic Training ! Ready Set Go !

Well I did it ! I started Running Room half marathon training clinic. I am really looking forward to the next 18 wks ! I started running in fall 2009 with learn to run clinic. I have always been a " want to be runner " as they always had cute outfits and looked to fit ! LOL However I never really committed to trying running. I was hooked after the learn to run clinic when I realized that " I will not die after running 10 min straight! I had a mountain top experience in September 2009 after climbing the 2 hr hike to the top of Sulfur Mtn.in Banff. I was totally out of shape and was thinking of my uncle Doug who was living with cancer and how it was ridiculous for me not to live my live to the fullest and fittest! So I started and when I have a tough run I swear I can hear Doug cheering me on !

I did a few 5kms and last year did the 10K clinic twice and Bluenose 10 K and Cabot Trail Relay Leg 15 in Maragree. Now I have to clarify that the Cabot Trail Relay is a very competitive race with serious runners. I ran with my brother in laws team and there is always a mix of serious runners and folks just starting running so very laid back but everyone has goals. I admit I was not smart with my training so I was not really prepared last year and I was last in my leg watching " older " runners pass me and I had the St.John ambulance behind me ! I laughed and kept going and felt like Terry Fox I had my own support team ! LOL Sooo my goal this year to is to train smarter and keep my focus on the goal of making the mat and running the pace of 6km/min.

The Running Room clinic has 60 people enrolled of all shapes and sizes and ages. I am hopping that I will connect with a few folks in this clinic and started running with the 2:15 group. Unfortunately the Bluenose is the weekend before the Cabot Trail Relay so my first half marathon will have to wait for another race in the summer. I loved the 10K last year so many people cheering and so many people in the pack. The energy is amazing and it feels great to test your body and push the limits. Yes I admit I am a convert and love the challenge and feeling from running. However winter running in Halifax is a challenge however I have all the gear and even went out for 6km last Sunday with RR group run and the temp was - 25 !

NO EXCUSES and FOCUS is my motto for my training !

I plan to give updates on my training to track how I am doing.

Longest Run this week: 6 KM
Number of runs this week: 3

Here we go !

1 comment:

  1. So Great Karen. I have to say that completing my first marathon was one of the most exhilarating (I am sure that is spelled wrong) things that I did in my life. It is hard work, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete